July 05, 2007

more lessons learned

  1. Painter's tape is the key to a good caulk job for first-time caulkers like myself.
  2. Attacking (or more accurately, attempting to attack) on lap 2 of one's first real crit of the year is NOT the key to success for once-a-month bike racers like myself.
  3. Wearing boxers under shorts on a hot day really makes your butt sweat...I don't know how guys do it.
  4. Junior bike racers (18 and under) are not allowed to use big-boy/big-girl gears for any road race, even if it's a Pro/1/2 race. Am I the only one that didn't know this? The reason behind the gear restrictions is actually quite interesting. And it's quite entertaining and impressive to watch the Cat 1/2 juniors spin their 52x14's while the big kids are pushing huge gears.
  5. The neighborhood rabbits are foiling my plans to impress the master gardener next door with my novice green thumb - apparently their weekly diet corresponds with whatever plant in my garden is about to flower.
  6. I'm told that strange sensations in the leg can be caused by a pinched sciatic nerve, even if you don't feel any discomfort in your back where the nerve is supposedly pinched. I'm skeptical that this can be true, but I'm no doctor.

1 comment:

Eclectchick said...

"I'm told that strange sensations in the leg can be caused by a pinched sciatic nerve, even if you don't feel any discomfort in your back where the nerve is supposedly pinched. I'm skeptical that this can be true, but I'm no doctor."

Are you kidding? Hell, yes! AND in your butt and clear down at your ankle. The sciatic nerve is a monster in so many ways . . . I wish I could have mine removed.